Friday, May 29, 2009

Holy Cow! Poker Games and Grifting!




So.... I have been meaning to post this for a bit.
Remember that Friday art group I was hanging with.
We will call them the "Fearsome Four".
Four ladies with a whole lot a talent.
Everyone needs an art group. Any artist that is...
Its like a poker group. I don't do sports groups.
I did do poker groups.

I don't do poker anymore- I cheat.
It started with family. Bad influence on my younger brother.
He took it to the next level.
My youngest brother is a bit of a "flim flam man".
( Damn good movie with George C Scott) A card shark.
Spent to much time in Vegas. Got in over his head.
He received a razor to a nipple from a bad card game.
Long story... don't get caught cheating at cards.
So I stay away from cards.
I don't cheat at cards because I like to be dishonest.
Its just because I watched the movie the "Sting" to many times as a kid.
I fell in love with the idea of being a grifter.
The fantasy of something is never quite like the reality.

So I turned towards art and theater.
He turned his talents to Hollywood.

Acting and producing. You need a touch of grift in Hollywood.
I can only take small weekend visits with the LA branch of my family.
Guaranteed to take part in some odd and weird.
Plus a lot of walking bullshit in Hollywood.
I hate young actors.
I used to be one. Now I'm bitter and seasoned.

Can't stand a green actor with perkiness.
Its like having a walking "Keebler" cookie elf dancing around
you with jazz hands- talking social theater causes.


I'm rambling. So I turned towards art and theater.
Art groups instead of midnight poker runs.
I live longer.
It might be different if this art group currently
smoked cigars and drank whiskey at ten in the morning,
while
listening to Frankie Avalon tunes
prepping to paint paper mache cows.

But that's not them.

Unless they are taking it slow with me.

Note to self.... Frankie Avalon... Rambling again.
Cows-we made cows a few weeks ago. The group has since finished.
I had to share Chia's cow- she took it from the right and turned it way left.
She did a steam punk twist on it.
I thought that I would also define steampunk for you.
Some have asked about it lately.
Here are a few pics of Chia's work and a few definitions from Wiki!



Steampunk: is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. The most immediate form of steampunk subculture is the community of fans surrounding the genre. Some move beyond this, adopting a "steampunk aesthetic" through fashion, home decor, and music. This movement may also be described as "Neo-Victorianism", which is the amalgamation of Victorian aesthetic principles with modern sensibilities and technologies.]Other have proposed a steampunk philosophy,
sometimes with punk-inspired anti-establishment sentiments,
and typically bolstered by optimism about human potential.



The before...

The after...
All steamed.... and ready.

4 comments:

Wendy Gunderson said...

I was so excited when the steampunk cow debuted last week, mostly because I had never heard the steam punk word. At last, there is a name for what is dear to my heart too.

It must be genetic, although Chia might deny it! I think it rather applies to the work you share with us too.

I miss my art group. I don't know too many steampunkers-in-exile here in Farmland.

Jack and Cat Curio said...

Totally... LOL.. You might have a few closeted steampunkers.

lifeheARTist said...

Love the cloud grazer! "steampunk".... i like that... catchy! : )

Chia said...

"Fearsome Four", you really crack me up! Thanks for featuring Cloud Grazer. I still can't get over the change in him. It is truly amazing what happens when inspiration decides to pay you a visit. Hopefully by the time I get the chance to show him to you in person I'll have his little buddy, Sparky, finished as well. OK, now I have to go find away to get the razor and the nipple out of my mind...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More